WHAT?!?! This can’t be real!
When moments were difficult in the beginning of my exchange, I was looking forward to this day. Everyone had told me that the 6 month mark meant speaking the language fluently, never feeling sad or having hard days, and school being easy. (hahaha, it is easier now, but those statements are far from true!) Now I regret every moment wanting to speed up time. When I think of home, I immediately think of Saviese and eating dinner with Papa, Maman, and Melanie. When people ask me where I am from, Valais always comes to my mind first. I cannot even begin to imagine leaving. So, I am not! I really want to stop always looking forward to the next event, and instead enjoy the present moment. Instead of counting down the days I have left, I like to think that I have been fortunate enough to live in paradise for 6 months already!
These are a few of the million highlights I have had the chance to experience over the last 6 months:
- Meeting my family
- Having a sister!! (Growing up with all boys, I have literally dreamed of having a sister!)
- Celebrating Christmas with all of my family
- Meeting my best friend: Karla
- Being placed in an incredible class that are now my second Swiss family
- Spending Sundays on the slopes with Papa
- Talking for hours in the kitchen with Maman
- Feeling so comfortable in such foreign place
- Finding the person I truly want to be (I know how cliché, but I really have learned what I believe and why it is important to me.)
- Dreaming in multiple languages!! (I have recently met the Spanish, Italian, and German speaking exchange students!)
- Being able to represent the United States apart from what the media says
I love being one exchange student and have already learned so much, but I am still searching for the pause button on life. Don’t hesitate to let me know if you find it!
Thank you so much for supporting and following my journey so far! I cannot wait to embrace each day of the next 4 1/2 months!